BOOKS + SUPPLIES
Course supply kits are available exclusively through the campus bookstore. DI shirts, hats, tote bags, mugs, license plate holders and more are also available in the bookstore.
To purchase DI merchandise, please inquire at the front desk in the Administration building.
If a custom course packet is required for your course, you will receive it on the first day of class and be billed for it along with tuition.
If a textbook is required for your course, you can rent or purchase it through Amazon or any other retailer. Check the bulletin boards around campus for ads from students selling their used copies, and check the DI Library's used book sale.
Many studio courses have a list of required supplies that you are expected to have on the first day of class. For your convenience, required supplies for some courses are bundled into a supply kit that you can purchase through the DI Bookstore. You may need to purchase other supplies separately (see the list of Art + Drafting Supplies Vendors below.
A drafting table is required with registration in the Visual Communication I or Visual Communication II courses. Success in those courses and the interior design program is dependent on the student obtaining all required drafting supplies, including an appropriate table.
Although a drafting table in not required until the second semester, many students find it beneficial to have one earlier.
To successfully complete all your DISD drafting projects, you will need:
- Minimum size: 30” x 42” (required for Visual Communication I and Visual Communication II)
- Same size as drafting table (this is the vinyl sheet that is placed on the table top, allowing you to use softer pencils and providing greater flexibility with line quality)
- Sized to match drafting table size (DI instructors recommend Mayline brand)
- Do not cut on the borco, as it nicks easily
- Do not use markers, charcoal or ink on or near the borco, as it stains easily
- Any kind of stain, cut or nick on the borco makes it difficult to draft and new borco may need to be purchased
- Watch this 3-part video series from DI Drafting Instructor Michelle Hamm and learn how to properly set up your drafting table. When you finish Part 1, move on to Part 2 and then Part 3.
- 3804 Fourth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
- Art supply store in Hillcrest
- 1844 India St, San Diego, CA 92101
- Art supply store in Little Italy; sign up for a discount card with your student ID
- Students and graduates often post to the DI Facebook page when they want to sell a drafting table
Please fill out as much information as you can to recommend a resource. If you are recommending a book, feel free to include an Amazon or Google Books link.