PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY PRACTICE QUIZ:
GLOBAL WINDS II
Use the schematic of the globe below to answer the following questions.
1. Referring to the generalized schematic of global circulation patterns, is which 2 bands would you expect to find subtropical high pressure cells?
- The bands marked E and I
2. In the band marked F, from which direction do the prevailing winds blow? What are these winds called?
- From the northeast, called northeast trade winds
3. In which band would the westerly winds of the Northern Hemisphere be found?
- The band marked D
4. In the band marked B, from which direction do the prevailing winds blow? What are these winds called?
- From the east, called polar easterlies
5. Are the regions in the bands marked C and K characterized by high or low pressure? Are they characterized by high or low temperatures? What type of weather is typical of these regions?
- Low pressure, low temperatures and stormy weather
6. The doldrums are a zone of unreliable winds and frequent calm conditions. In which band are the doldrums found?
- In the band marked G
7. In which band would the polar easterlies of the Southern Hemisphere be found?
- The band marked L
Close Recommend a book, magazine or website
Please fill out as much information as you can to recommend a resource. If you are recommending a book, feel free to include an Amazon or Google Books link.